Virginia Tech®home

Personal Attendants

Virginia Tech welcomes personal attendants (PA) in all areas of the campus in order for these attendants to perform their duties. The following information is to assist students, employees, or visitors who use the services of a PA. It is also intended to provide information to the campus community regarding the possible presence of attendants in the academic, residential, and work environment. 

Personal attendants (also known as a personal care assistant or aide) are individuals who assist those with personal needs of daily living due to a mental or physical disability. The activities that PAs assist individuals with include, but are not limited to:

  • Providing help with walking, bathing, dressing, toileting, grooming, preparing meals, and feeding
  • Monitoring any medical condition, observing vital signs, and giving reminders to take prescribed medications
  • Transporting or escorting their client
  • Assisting with maintenance of the home environment including cleaning, laundry, etc.
  • Assisting with manual tasks such as turning pages, retrieving books, taking on and off coats, and opening doors
  • Providing cognitive assistance and monitoring

An individual needing the services of a PA is encouraged to seek the appropriate care immediately. The individual is the employer of the attendant and is therefore responsible for:

  • Recruiting the PA
  • Reviewing all applications and interviewing candidates
  • The hiring, management, payment of, and firing of a PA


Students should contact Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) if:

  • The PA needs university housing—students will need to submit a request for a special housing accommodation. Forms can be found on the Special Housing page. Fees for PA housing are available through Housing.
  • The PA needs access to the residence hall where the student is living.
  • The PA is attending classes with a student to discuss classroom procedures and guidelines.


Employees whose PA will perform duties at the work site should contact University ADA Services if accommodations are needed.

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Virginia Tech does not provide direct PA services and is not responsible or liable for any consequences resulting from an individual's association with a PA.

Faculty and Supervisors

If you have questions about a PA working in your area, please contact: