Virginia Tech®home

Disability Documentation

For Services for Students with Disabilities to offer accommodation to students, third-party documentation of the presence of a disability may be requested by SSD. You can find general guidelines for documenting disabilities below. Please contact us for the most current information or if you have any questions about disability documentation.

In the case of all disabilities, documentation must indicate that the disability substantially limits some major life activity, including learning.


Students with psychological disorders are required to present documentation from psychiatrists or other qualified persons and agencies to make a diagnosis of the disability. SSD uses ETS Documentation Guidelines for psychological disabilities.

Students with psychological disabilities, certain medical conditions, and traumatic brain injury will be asked to update their documentation on a yearly basis in order to justify the need to continue their accommodations.

Physical, Medical

Students with physical or medical impairments are required to present documentation from physicians or other qualified persons and agencies to make a diagnosis of the disability.

Please read and bring these Documentation of a Medical Disability guidelines to your doctor to ensure that documentation of your disability is complete.

Learning Disability

Students with a learning disability are required to submit a comprehensive psychological and educational evaluation. Documentation for learning disabilities should include current measures of aptitude (e.g. WAIS-IV), achievement (e.g. current levels of functioning in reading, mathematics, and written language), and information processing. A qualified professional must conduct the evaluation.

Attention Deficit Disorder (AD/HD)

Students with attention deficit disorder (AD/HD) are required to submit comprehensive documentation that substantiates the AD/HD. This documentation should include evidence of early impairment, evidence of current impairment, relevant testing information, and an interpretive summary based on a comprehensive evaluation. A qualified professional must conduct the evaluation.

Qualified professionals may refer to the Educational Testing Services Guidelines for Attention Deficit Disorder and/or the Association of Higher Education and Disability Guidelines for Learning Disabilities for more specific information regarding the documentation of a disability. Copies of each may be obtained from SSD, or by accessing the AHEAD or ETS websites.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Students who are deaf or hard of hearing should present documentation of their hearing loss from an audiologist or other qualified medical professional. A relatively recent audiogram along with a one-to-one conversation are usually enough to determine the accommodations to fit your academic needs. Other documentation such as an IEP or 504 plan from high school is helpful but not required.