Virginia Tech® home

Emergent Disabilities, Injuries, Illnesses

Emergent Disabilities may include, but are not limited to, injured limbs, surgeries, and short-term illnesses. These disabilities may require accommodations for several weeks or a full semester.

Academic Accommodations

Students requesting academic accommodations through Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) should follow the process on the previous page, How to Connect with SSD.

Absence Verifications

Students with an emergent disability should contact Phyllis Smith at Schiffert Health Center at 540-231-5313 if they have missed classes due to the disability and would like a letter sent to their professors verifying the absence. Students should also contact each of their professors to explain what has occurred and to discuss missed class work and tests.

Students who need to request academic relief in the form of medical withdrawals or late class drops should contact Phyllis Smith at 540- 231-5313 to request the appropriate forms.

Transportation and Parking

Students with emergent mobility disabilities who need to arrange transportation to and from campus should contact BT Access at 540-443-1533 or You can find more information at

Students with temporary Department of Motor Vehicles (DVM) hangtags or students who wish to request temporary medical parking from Virginia Tech Parking Services should visit Parking Services Reserved Accessible Spaces.

Additional information about transportation and parking can be found on SSD's Transportation information page.

Dining Services

Students who are sick or unable to visit a dining center due to an emergent physical disability (i.e. broken leg or back injury) can make special meal arrangements. Dining Services has a Meals for students with illness or temporary disability policy that allows a student to pick up a meal for a temporarily disabled friend. 

Emergency Evacuation

Students with emergent mobility disabilities should be familiar with their residence hall evacuation procedures as well as the evacuation procedures for their classrooms in the event of a fire drill, or other emergency situations that dictate all students evacuating a building. For residence hall procedures, students should contact their resident advisor or their area coordinator. A brochure entitled "Evacuation and Safety Planning for Individuals with Disabilities" is available in the SSD office at 310 Lavery Hall.

Wheelchairs, Crutches, and Personal Attendants

Wheelchairs, crutches, or personal attendants are the responsibility of the student. You may rent or purchase crutches and wheelchairs and bring them to campus as necessary. Incoming students with mobility and transportation needs, or who need assistance learning accessible routes and navigating buildings, are encouraged to contact SSD and we will assist you.